Emetophobia Assessment Test – Severity Scale
How Severe is YOUR Emetophobia?
Our Emetophobia Assessment test allows you to determine the “severity” of Emetophobia (fear of vomit) experienced by any individual, Rob Kelly developed the Emetophobia Severity Scale (ESS) as part of the ‘Cure Emetophobia’ programme.
There are 30 questions falling under three categories, each category representing one of the principal thinking or behaviour “modes” associated with the symptoms of Emetophobia.
The Emetophobia Questionnaire is also useful for gauging Emetophobia Symptoms both before and after the treatment sessions.
During the course of the Emetophobia Research Survey it was found that sufferers answering this Emetophobia Questionnaire scored between 18 and 30 with an average score of just over 24.
These scores were the “before” values.
After following the Thrive Programme, the Emetophobia Questionnaire was taken again producing the “after” scores which now had an average of 5!
Emetophobia Assessment Questionnaire – Indications
The results indicated by the participants taking the Emetophobia Questionnaire after following the Thrive Programme appear to suggest that the severity of the phobia is significantly reduced, if not all but removed by the process.
In the year or so since the research survey was first published, Emetophobia sufferers continue to get great results from following the programme.
Assess Your Emetophobia
Simply read through these 30 questions, giving yourself ONE point for each answer that you “Agree” with.
Bear in mind that this questionnaire assumes that you suffer from Emetophobia and the score is an indication of how “severe” your specific phobia is.
In simple terms a score of zero would indicate that your phobia has almost no impact on your life, whilst a score of 30 indicates that it has a very large impact on you.
Anxiety and fearful cognitions in relation to being sick
- I feel very anxious at the thought of being sick
- I often experience physical symptoms (such as nausea, racing heart rate, sweating) at the thought or mention of vomiting
- I could not cope with being sick
- I have experienced emetophobia related panic attacks
- I am preoccupied by thoughts of being sick
- I worry that I will be really ill if I am sick
- I worry about other people being sick
- I worry that if I am sick I will die
- I feel anxious whenever I hear or see the words ‘sick’ or ‘vomit’
- I worry that I will completely lose control if I vomit
Avoidance and safety-seeking behaviours
- I tend to avoid eating out at restaurants or other people’s houses
- I avoid taking medication that could cause sickness
- I would terminate a pregnancy to avoid morning sickness
- I tend not to go to pubs and clubs for fear of drunk people throwing up
- I tend not to travel by one or more of: car, boat, train, bus or plane, for fear of vomiting or catching a vomiting bug
- I maintain very high standards of personal and household hygiene
- I avoid drinking alcohol or eating specific foods for fear of sickness
- I avoid going near people that could be unwell
- I take ‘stomach settlers’, such as drinking mint tea
- When preparing food I like to double check the sell by date and make sure everything is thoroughly cooked
Social Anxiety in relation to being sick
- I haven’t told other people about my emetophobia
- Vomiting in front of others worries me more than vomiting in private
- I think that others would be disgusted if I were to throw up in public
- I worry about what my friends or family might think of me for having emetophobia
- I fear that other people might not want to know me if I were to throw up in front of them
- Whenever I feel anxious, I try to hide it from others
- I worry that my friends and family might talk about my emetophobia behind my back
- I worry that being sick would make me look unladylike or repulsive
- I fear getting into relationships, due to potentially having to reveal or explain my emetophobia to my new partner
- I worry that other people might be annoyed if I were to throw up in front of them
Find Out More
Don't hesitate to get in touch with me to find out how Thrive could help you to achieve your goals and aspirations. I offer ALL prospective clients a FREE initial chat to discuss all the options.